Sunday, July 22, 2007

An Interesting Comment

I've never reposted a blog comment before, but I found this one interesting, and because it's a recent comment but buried back in the May archive, I thought you might have missed it. I'm not finding it interesting because the guy agreed with me, but, rather, because it's a conservative voter telling us how to beat the GOP in '08: nominate Bill Richardson. My original post is here. Here's most of the comment:

"As a conservative from the Reagan era, let me say that much of what you said here is right on the money. I've thought for two years that Richardson is the one guy who could carry the states the Dems have built as a base and siphon enough votes to get Arizona, Louisiana, Kentucky, or Missouri.

This is not going to be as 'easy' for the Democrats as most of their supporters wish. Let's face it: Bush is NOT on the ballot. Saying, "I'm not Bush" (which was Kerry's ONLY argument) didn't win when Bush was the alternative, so why should it work when the GOP isn't nominating Bush AND isn't nominating his Veep, either?

It is a SIMPLE FACT that the Electoral College swings in favor of the GOP. It's not as hard a swing as it used to be in one sense - some states (NJ and IL, for example) that used to vote GOP are now pretty solid for the Dems. The PROBLEM, however, is the NUMBER of electoral votes going towards the GOP has increased as NY and PA have lost votes to places like Florida."

No comments: