Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Time Has Come....

There's a sad part of every political campaign that doesn't finish first--the part where you have to decide when to throw down your cards and quit the game. For me, that time is now. I'm sorry to say that Governor Richardson's 5% showing in yesterday's New Hampshire primary was far short of what he needs to be a viable contender for the nomination, in my estimation. For all the reasons I've stated here so many times, I still believe that no one can match Bill Richardson's qualifications to be president. I still love the guy. I wish this had turned out differently. But it hasn't.

So it's time for me to decide which of the remaining two *viable* contenders for the nomination I support, and I've chosen Obama. Of course, my ideal pairing for the Dem ticket is Obama/Richardson, which I hope to see happen. No one could bring foreign-policy experience to Obama's White House bid like Bill Richardson.

Good luck, governor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I've just about come to the same realization and I too will support Obama. Still, I can't help but think that if we Richardson supporters had rallied behind him in the way that the Ron Paul disciples had, perhaps he would have had a better shot.

Name recognition is vitally important, and that was one of Richardson's two major failings, the other being his lackluster debate performances. Polish, presentation and name recognition are as important to winning the nomination as experience, vision, and ideas are.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add that there is still hope of Richardson either getting the nod for Vice President, or, should a Democrat win the general election, a cabinet position.

I'd be quite satisfied with either at this point.